Friday, September 30, 2011

Net Force Sample Problem Walkthrough

Suppose the tank below has just fired a projectile. Assume that the tank stays stationary during the whole process (besides the obvious barrel movement due to the recoil. Disregard that).

Please click on the two images below and follow the walkthrough and then ask me any questions you still have about using Newtons second law, F=ma.


What questions do you have? What was confusing about this problem? What emotion card would you hold up if we were in class and you just saw this walkthrough?

4 comments:

  1. After clicking on the images myself I realize that they are really small and hard to see. I apologize for that. If you are interested in having a more legible copy of this walkthrough, please email me at dmurff@jacksonville.edu and I'll be happy to send you a PDF version.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or just post a comment with your email address and I'll send you the PDF

    ReplyDelete
  3. This article helped me to clarify some doubts I had when finding the normal force. So we know, according to Newton’s first law that if no force acts on a body, the body cannot accelerate, so the net force for “x” and “y” is 0. But what if the tank is in movement? How would it change the net force now that acceleration is involved?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Antonella, great question. Nothing would change about how you analyze the forces on the tank. You would still add up the forces in the x and y directions. The only difference is that your answers would not come out to be zero, whereas in our example, forces in both directions perfectly balanced each other, totaling a net effect of 0. Instead, you would get a non-zero value for your Fnet.

    ReplyDelete